Re: NANFA-- The dissolved oxygen thang

geoff (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:28:28 -0500

put an air pump in the bag.

I'm suspicious that this would work too well. One thing to be aware of is
that at rest, we produce a relatively steady amount of CO2. If you sit down
and inflate plastic bags in a hurry, you will have a lower CO2 concentration
in the bags. you would have to fill the bags with a normal respiratory rate
to get a significantly higher CO2 concentration in the bags. Not to mention
the likelihood of hyperventilating if you tried to fill the bag too quickly.
his sounds like a real hassle.

It seems like it would be easier to take a bunch of baking soda and put it in
a chamber (like a plastic soda bottle) with a tube leading to a plastic bag.
Then add a dilute acid (via another small tube leading into the chamber) and
collect all the CO2 you want. Baking soda is cheap, as is muriatic acid.
You need to dilute the muriatic acid or too much heat might be generated.

Even easier, I would think would be just to use a yeast reactor. It would
certainly take up less room than all the plastic bags.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY