RE: NANFA-- water pumps

Shane Graber (SGraber_at_sauder.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:08:06 -0500

Hello,

This is my first post (one of many I hope :) ) so I probably should
introduce myself. My name is Shane Graber and I've been into aquaria for
many years now. Just recently I've become interested in native fish --
specifically native to northern Ohio. I'm hoping to go collecting with Todd
when the weather warms up. :)

In regards to the pump page: I'm hoping that it is useful to the greater
aquarium hobby. I know I've used it more than once already. ;) The pump
page, the spreadsheet, and the article from Advanced Aquarist, are a pretty
complete trio when it comes to pump and plumbing selection.

One pump I really like for recirculating (better than powerheads) and I
think might have a lot of application in simulating riffles or situations
where you want to move a large volume of water around in a tank would be a
Reeftec pump: http://www.reeftec.com/ Here's an article write-up on the
product:

Propeller Pumps in the Aquarium
Product Review by Richard Harker
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/review.htm

For only 35 watts of energy used you can get a *lot* of flow from these
babies. I was skeptical until I actually broke down and bought one of them.
I now personally have two that are going on an upcoming reef tank, but I'm
also thinking about putting one or two of these on my upcoming 125 native
tank. I need to get one of these over to Todd's place just to show him what
they can do for water current. :)

Shane