Re: NANFA-- was Columbia trip gear, now hellbenders

Steffen Hellner (steffen_at_hellner.biz)
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:57:24 +0100

Moon,

great idea. There are efforts breeding hellbenders at Mammoth Spring
hatchery and some groups workung on them in their habitats. Despite of that
I didn4t find any information on breeding success or attempts. Possibly the
Saint Louis Zoo works on breeding but I didn4t fins evidence on their
website.

I think a 150 gal. will be enough for a pair but keep in mind they are
extremely aggressive when not breeding. But they seem to not move much. And
take care to have tons of crayfish available. I4ll use european crayfish for
that and fish from a hatchery resp. from ponds of a friend who raises carps
and there are always a lot of small unwanted fish in the ponds which will
make a good source for my hellis. Can4t wait for them to be here.

I put a request to FWD for hellbender regulations and permit. No reply yet
but this will surely take some time. Same to MO authorities for Ozark form.
Will let you know their replies.

And please: don4t eat amphibia anymore.;-)

Steffen

-