Re: NANFA-- Columbia trip gear (hellbenders plus!)

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:30:37 -0500

Steffen,

My involvement in this discussion might be confused with other input. I am
not specifically arguing on a species by species or locale by locale basis.
I agree that well thought research and attempts to breed by private
individuals is a noble activity. The Nature Conservancy's Scale of
Conservatism and Heritage Ratings are a conservative estimate of population
dynamics... Really they form my opinions about take for private use more so
than official state listing (wether science or the public as a whole will
benefit from my activity or not) as they more accurately reflect the species
status than what a DNR can offer in assessment (due to the opinions of the
State Legislatures). They are a good measure for the ethical private
individual to judge which species they add into their attache of species
they've worked with.

As ignorant as I am about herpetology, I can still make comparisons between
populations that I do work with (fish and plants) that are analogous in the
Heritage Rating system. If hellbenders, for example, are an S5 in Missouri,
then by all means, take a conservative amount of specimens from those
populations and Godspeed, crack their captive breeding. Hopefully in your
prior research you can find as a resource, someone who is an expert on the
matter and can point you to the best populations to make your take. Being
that this is an extremely large amphibian, which these days is two strikes
against the sustainability of the species, I do think it warrants a special
effort to be considered in the research prior to take for the ethical
hobbyist. That is the only "species by species" comment I'll make.

What I've been more interested to address in this thread, is my lack of
fondness for Mr. Moore's blanket [it's okay until otherwise proven], [junk
science], and [the locals kill them, so I doubt private herpers will do any
harm] slippery slope he continues to promote. I wasn't impressed when I
first read it in AC, I wasn't fond of the counter-response to Dr. Helfman's
warning, and then the sudden urgency without recognition of the causality
concerning the welaka issue was nothing short of irritating.

Of course, this is _only_ my opinion among many... So as Dr. Stallsmith
says... The mileage may vary :)

Todd