Re: NANFA-- Collecting ethics

Steffen Hellner (steffen_at_hellner.biz)
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:33:06 +0100

> Von: Lance Merry <natureman187_at_yahoo.com>
> Antworten an: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> Datum: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:47:25 -0800 (PST)
> An: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> Betreff: Re: NANFA-- Collecting ethics
>
> I've got a more negative view over all of this. I'm thinking that the
species
> low in numbers and suffering from mans' presence is going to bite the dust
> anyway. I relize that the government tries to help endangered species
species
> back to existesnce but when the overall public could give a rats ass about
> darter or sunny what is the government to do? Species will keep going
extict
> if no one care...the government can do all it wants but as long as no one
> really cares how much good is it? For example; I'm out with freinds, we get
> something to eat, and what happens to the trash? it goes out the window and
> over the bridge. What am I to do? "hey stop that" pfft yeah ok. My neighbor
> gets a plot of farmland gets a plot a farmland and he cuts all the trees
down
> up to the creek for what? "one more row" he says. No one cares because what
is
> this creek with an abundance of life in it? "A ditch that drains water"
This
> fad of nice houses, malls, large SUV's, and money are killing everyth
> ing in
> site. I mean, in my high school of 450, I am the only student that fishes
and
> has aquariums. Back to my point that no one cares, and I really don't think
we
> can do anything about it untill people can SEE what they are doing and then
> it's too late...there's the problem, people think if they can't see it,
it's
> not there. I had a lady that works at the state park tell me last year that
> "They need to take the log jams out of the river, they look bad."
!!!!!!!!
This is one of the major threats to nature that people are disconnected from
it in their minds and thoughts. This is one of the negative aspects in
extreme environmentalists who like to state the separation of humans and
nature by keeping people out of nature (reserves, parks) and animals out of
sight (zoos, aquariums, private keepers).

This is what makes work with children - as several NANFAs do - more valuable
than I can express with words. If a kid has "touched" nature it will love
and respect it. And will want to "work" with it. Look at the c.v.4s of many
of us, wasn4t it the same?

Steffen