RE: NANFA-- Collecting ethics

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:03:06 -0500

><)> Still waiting for evidence that collecting of fish
><)> or any other cold-blooded
><)> animal has ever lead to extinction.

This is where I think that the views on this topic are nearsighted. It is
not that it may lead to extiction, it is that it is not helping to preserve
the species by still allowing for unrestricted collection or possession.
You are reducing genetic diversity and therefore *possibly* weakening the
species as a whole. There is much that humans don't know about population
dynamics and that is why I vote for erring on the side of caution and not
allowing just anyone who thinks they know what they are doing to keep the
species. Unfortunately, it is reactive and not proactive, but that is a
whole other thread ;).

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo