Re: NANFA-- Collecting ethics

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:20:08 EST

In a message dated 1/13/04 5:45:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
coelacanth_at_btinternet.com writes:

> But by that time the population had dropped to a level that was almost
> certainly unable to sustain itself given the lack of coherent conservation
> networks. All they did was speed the end by a few years.
> /

I doubt that we are going to find any animal that was brought to extinction
by over collecting by hobbyists even though we do catch the blame for this
through insinuation. Nonetheless even if collecting by hobbyists isn't the primary
cause it can be the straw that broke the camels back in some cases. My
thoughts on this issue is that the worst reason for species becoming rare should be
addressed first but while a species is under extreme stress due to habitat
destruction collecting them for the hobby is not a good idea. I just get tired of
hearing how hobbyists are destroying the environment by collecting while
other far more destructive problems are being ignored. Hobbyists are an easy
target, hobbyists catch the blame for the decline of coral while thousands of tons
of coral is dredged up and burnt to make concrete or cut into blocks to build
houses. The amount of coral taken as live coral for aquariums is so tiny
compared to the big problems by it's self it would make no difference in the coral
population at all. But if you ask many professionals they will state that the
aquarium hobby is to blame in a heart beat. I am willing to take
responsibility for my mistakes but I resent very much being blamed for what I haven't done
just because I don't have the political power of large corporations. As for
Nick, he is more experienced than most of us put together and off hand remarks
about his experience when you don't know him is wrong. He has contributed to my
knowledge base in many ways and his willingness to share his knowledge and
experience is one of the things that makes the NANFA list special.

Moon

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a
troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to
irresponsible action. -- George Washington