Re: NANFA-- Bitterling and painted mussles

Steffen Hellner (steffen_at_hellner.biz)
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:38:11 +0100

Hi all,

over here there are professional breeders for native Bitterling and the
mussels are offered as well. The fish are about 2-3 USD each (sometimes
cheeper - and depending on numbers). Mussels are less than a buck.

Friends of mine will most probably go to the AKA convention in May/June. I
am not sure about my travel plans.

Shipping will be a problem when warmer. Actually no problem but fish hardly
available.

Mussels and Bitterling can stand temps. up in the high 20ies C if enough
oxygene is available. Wholesalers here keep the mussels in containers
outside even in summer but then in very shallow, well moved water.

The Bitterling and Mussels may be a serious thred to NANF as they can and
will survive in the wild if released. Possibly they are indexed and
prohibited for import. We have the same problem here with the japanese
Bitterling.

Steffen