Re: NANFA-- MA Collecting Trip

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 01:28:17 -0500

The two most common species of Spider Crab in our area are Libinia dubia
and L. emarginata. The liitle River in Dartmouth is an estuarine river.
Typically low salinity on the low tide, and near to full salt water on
the high tide. We have caught Spider Crabs here on both the low and high
tide. They are neat crabs, with very small claws, so them biting you is
not a concern.
As far as your question regarding crabs in freshwater, I don't believe
there are any in North America. I only know of those species that can
tolerate low salinity, such as Spider Crabs, Blue Crabs (Callinectes
sapidus), The Mud Crabs (Neopanopeus, Panopeus) and the Fiddlers (Uca
sp.). Maybe some one else on list can answer that question.

Rick Rego.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily
> Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send
> the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an
> email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command
> http://www.nanfa.org

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.