Re: NANFA-- unusual creek names

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:07:43 -0700

The creek I grew up exploring was also called Coffee Creek. The water was
crystal clear, so the name always puzzled me too. No fish were in my
stretch of the creek, due to it being on the top of a bluff. I suppose they
couldn't manage the falls. However, there were Pacific giant salamanders!!!
Man, those were cool. Foot long salamander larvae!

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Carillio <darterman_at_hotmail.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- unusual creek names

Chris, is that a true story!!!???... That had me amused as I was relating
the pronunciation of "Daughters" with the way someone in such the area would
pronounce "darters".. Here is one that is not really unusual, but just the
same, I wonder how it got it's name.... "Coffee Creek" This is in Trumbull
county Oh. and also near Newark, there is "Claylick creek"... Who would have
licked clay??? HA!

>From: Christopher Scharpf <ichthos_at_charm.net>
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- unusual creek names
>Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:08:09 -0400
>
>I owe my fascination with native fishes and freshwater habitats to the tiny
>creek I grew up next to, which had an unusual name -- Bread and Cheese
>Creek, in
>Baltimore County, Maryland. It was named for the War of 1812 militiaman
>(the
>Battle of North Point was fought nearby) who sat on its banks eating their
>rations of bread and cheese. I remember digging up muskets and shot along
>its
>banks when I was but a wee little brat oh so many years ago.
>
>This is not an unusual creek name, but it's an amusing creek name-related
>story.
>A few years back I was collecting fish with a friend in west-central
>Maryland.
>He drove while I studied the Delorme atlas, looking for potential
>collecting
>spots along the way.
>
>I said, "Just up the road a bit is Four Daughters Creek."
>
>"Yes!" my friend said, with unusual enthusiasm. "Let's collect there!"
>
>And so we did. Nothing much to speak of. A few blacknose dace. A small eel
>or
>two. A couple of baby bullheads.
>
>While we were packing up our gear my friend expressed disappointment.
>
>"Bummers. I was expecting a lot of darters."
>
>"What made you think there would be darters here?" I asked.
>
>"It's name. Why else would they have called it 'Four Darters Creek?'"
>

>Christopher Scharpf
>Baltimore

---