Re: NANFA-- River Reef

kahley (kahley7_at_ptd.net)
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 07:37:08 -0500

<x-flowed>
Wonderful! That explains a lot. I think i know where the nest is, or at
least where it was
two years ago. That was a crystal year and the first day I went out I saw
a nest. It was about six
feet out beyond the logs. The big bass don't like the reef too much. I
think the water is too shallow
and I've run out of rocks to make a new reef in deeper water so I've taken
big logs and propped them
up on rocks so they are about 1-2 feet from the bottom. They love the
logs! Anyway, the nest was
much larger than other's I've seen. I was thrilled and didn't want to
disturb them, so i retreated to max
visibility to watch. No one came near. I did a float by and saw there was
silt on the nest so I knew
it was defunct.

And now I know why I have never seen bass fry less than an inch. I have
watched minnows hatch
and often find myself in a cloud of newly hatched. It's an incredible
experience. They are nothing
but eyeballs and a spine but they _glow_if the sun is shining. To have
hundreds of iridescent
'hyphens' swimming around you..almost makes me dizzy. Anyway, now i know
why the young bass
seem to just 'appear' in the 1-2 inch range. Thank you!!!! If I may ask
another.....do bass pair-bond to
protect the nest? Does that bond last more than a season? Do they use the
same area to nest?
I guess I can check for a nest when the water clears,,,if the water
clears.....there were more storms
upstream yesterday <sigh>.