Re: NANFA--Off Topic: Ambystoma tigrinum

Bob Culler (culler_at_tricon.net)
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:24:15 -0400

<x-flowed>
At 03:04 PM 7/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
>This post does not address Native Fishes.
>
>There is some interest among amphibian conservationists in the recent
>commercial exploitation of larval tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum).
>Apparently data are limited on how many of these animals are harvested or
>bred for use as bait and, more recently, as pets.

As far as use as bait, they are probably not used much. My experience with
A. maculatum is that fish will shun them like the plague. I always figured
it was because they taste bad or something. Anybody with have contrary
experience?

Ranger Bob
culler_at_tricon.net
Kingsport, TN
"The power of humans to degrade the natural world is awesome; the
capability to reconstitute it later is mythical."

</x-flowed>