Re: NANFA-- MD snakehead update

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:09:07 -0400

Maryland has no natural lakes--I wouldn't be surprised if this pond isn't
natural either. All of the park ponds around here are manmade, so it's a
good bet the Crofton Pond is artificially created, with only some largemouth
bass, lot's of bluegills and a reproducing population of liberated bait
bucket golden shiners and or mummichog. It seems like draining the pond for
a year or two would be a wise precaution to prevent the snakeheads from
spreading throughout the Chesapeake system.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua L Wiegert" <jlw_at_dune.net>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- MD snakehead update

> That's an option they're exploring, Mike. However, if its just one or two
> fish, and they can remove them without overly harming the pond... seems
> that the benefit is there. Unfortunately, most state DNR's are full of
> people who don't seem to understand that ponds are often filled with
> fishes other than gamefish.... I can think of many NY ponds that were
> rot'd, previously having a nice fishery of bullhead and full of little
> minnows to collect... Few perch get in, do some damage, and .. next thing
> you know, its a stocked pond full of the same trout year after year.
>
> --
> end
> ____^__
> ><,Darwin,>
> Joshua L. Wiegert
> NFC Lists Administrator JLW_at_dune.net
> www.geocities.com/Josh_Wiegert
Nativefishconservancy-owner_at_yahoogroups.com
> ICQ UIN 69553561 AIM UID: JoshuaWiegert
> Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-
> mataHmeH maSachnIS veqlarghlI' yIbuS 'ej
veqla

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-
> Native Fish Conservancy main list is
NativeFishConservancy_at_yahoogroups.com.
> To subscibe to the NFC's main list, send a message to
> Nativefishconservancy-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com! For more information,
> visit http://www.nativefish.org. Come learn about, chat about, and
> protect our native heritage!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-=-

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Mike Bessert wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:30:22 -0700
> > From: Mike Bessert <mbesser1_at_bigred.unl.edu>
> > To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
> > Subject: Re: NANFA-- MD snakehead update
> >
> > Greetings to all.
> >
> > I have been out of the loop for a few days, so I'm getting caught up on
the
> > latest. I am as much a conservationist as anyone on the list and I'm
not a
> > big fan of knee jerk extremes; however...
> >
> > Wouldn't a little rotenone be in order here? It seems to me that the
> > sacrifice of a few ponds now (ponds that could be rehab'd in a few
years)
> > would be worth the potential benefit of preventing the introduction of
YET
> > ANOTHER damaging Asian species into our rivers. See: common carp,
bighead
> > carp, etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > Mike Bessert
> > Lincoln, NE
> >
> > on 7/2/02 6:21 AM, ichthos_at_charm.net at ichthos at charm.net wrote:
> >
> > > For the latest -- and photos -- on the northern snakehead in Maryland,
go
> > > to:
> > >
> > > http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/
> > >
> > > and click on the snakehead story. (Sunspot changes their pages often,
so
> > > the story may not be up beyond 7/2.)
> > >
> > > Apparently, there are at least 2 of them in the Crofton pond.
> > >
> > > "Scientists don't know how the snakehead got into the pond. Some
> > > snakehead species are sold to pet stores. Others, such as the northern
> > > snakehead, are sold in Asian specialty markets."
> > >
> > > Chris Scharpf
> > > Baltimore
> > > /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
necessarily
> > > / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes
> > > / Association"
> > > / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes
Association