Re: NANFA-- MD snakeheads came from an aquarium

Joshua L Wiegert (jlw_at_dune.net)
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:10:40 -0600 (MDT)

Final news from National Geographic as to where the SH's came from:

They were apparently purchased as a food item for a sick relative by a man
in New York City's Chinatown. They were supposed to have been made into
soup, but, for whatever reason, the man in question decided not to make
soup and put the two fishes into an aquarium.
He kept them shortly, inlcuding moving them to the Crofton area. They
were then released.

So, although it is correct technically to call this an aquarium release, I
don't think its quite right to. Aquarium releases are typically when some
unsuspecting (or just plain irresponsible) aquarist buys a nice, cute
little fish and puts it into their tank load of Neon Tetras, only to watch
tehm vanish one by one as it grows. Then, realizing that the beloved
Snakehead, Oscar, or what have you is just a whee tad too big for that
giant twenty gallon tank, release it into some pond.

Also, biologists captured a hundred plus juvenile snake heads recently
from the pond, something I haven't seen so far.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/07/0712_020712_snakehead.html

--
end
____^__
><,Darwin,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
NFC Lists Administrator JLW_at_dune.net
www.geocities.com/Josh_Wiegert Nativefishconservancy-owner_at_yahoogroups.com
ICQ UIN 69553561 AIM UID: JoshuaWiegert
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.
mataHmeH maSachnIS veqlarghlI' yIbuS 'ej veqla
Native Fish Conservancy main list is NativeFishConservancy_at_yahoogroups.com.
To subscibe to the NFC's main list, send a message to
Nativefishconservancy-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com! For more information,
visit http://www.nativefish.org. Come learn about, chat about, and
protect our native heritage!