RE: NANFA-- NANFA -- Pond algae

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:28:43 -0400

Many times when I see floating algae it is actually mats or rafts that have
floated up from the algae that grows on the bottom. It seems that after we
have a long stretch of warm sunny weather, the algae is photosynthesizing
like crazy and the O2 gets trapped and lifts a raft to the surface. When
it rains, the O2 is expelled and it sinks back to the bottom and decays. I
am not sure if this is what is happening in your pond but is it possible?
Do you have algae growing on the bottom that could be breaking off and
floating? I am not sure if I am preaching to the choir but check
phosphates and harvest what you can regularly. The increased phosphate
levels combined with the month of sunny, warm temps could be causing the
algae to explode and the more it grows, the more it dies and liberates the
phosphate back into the water. By harvesting, you are effectively removing
the phosphate and therefore "starving" the algae (more in theory than in
reality with an outdoor system). Not sure if you are into chemicals but I
am sure that with having ponds for so long, you knwo that there are plenty
of "miracle cures" to be wary of. One that we have been experimenting with
is Microbe-lift, a concentrated bacteria formula which is supposed to
digest the algae and sludge in the pond. The jury is still out with me on
this but it has worked for us for the past couple of years to remove the
floating rafts. In a 600 gallon pond, you can always do a series of water
changes to reduce nutrient levels too.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

------