RE: NANFA-- NANFA -- Pond algae

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:17:12 -0400

Another way to look at algae is... It exists as a physical manifestation of an
over abundance of "nutrition" for a system that favors it's existance rather
than supporting something else. You may be correct, the lack of rain has
caused you to add more tap, thereby adding additional more than the normal
amounts of phosphate. However, the hornwort you have there may be your help.

Try this... Physically skim the algae off (there by removing the converted
abundance of "nutrition" and getting a fresh start) Now that the sun can get
back to the hornwort, add potash (potassium) and epsom salt (magnesium) to the
system to see if that will stimulate the hornwort into a growth frenzy that
will convert the phosphate into it's own more attractive manifestation, rather
than the algae. I'd do a tablespoon of each for every 25 gallons (good news
is.. they're both cheap :). The system may be limited on those minerals, and
they're essential to building good vascular plant material.

Hope this helps...
Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: EELReprah_at_aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 10:00 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- NANFA -- Pond algae

In a message dated 7/23/02 8:24:27 AM, njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com writes:

<< In a 600 gallon pond, you can always do a series of water
changes to reduce nutrient levels too. >>

Ah, but my tap water contains phosphates (Total phosphate (mg/L): 0.38)
That may rule that out. I will remove it and see if eventually I can exhaust
it. Or I could refill it with RO water (not likely at a 10 gal/day output
rate). It may well be due the lack of rain which caused me to top it off from
the tap water.

Lee Harper
Media, PA
-