RE: NANFA-- NANFA -- Pond algae

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:12:19 -0400

Most tap water these days does contain phosphates. Here in the Cleveland
area, the city adds Sodium Metaphosphate which is supposed to coat the lead
solder joints to reduce the chance of lead poisoning in kids. I imagine
that other communities have done similiar things. There are a couple of
ways to remove the phosphate. One of the most expensive is probably going
the R/O route that you suggest. It is possible but with an outdoor system,
I don't think that it is practicle. With all of the allocthanous (my $10
word for the week) materials coming in from who knows where, you have
almost no control over the input of nutrients like you would in an
aquarium. I think the way that makes the most sense is to use Todd's
suggestion of a plant to remove the nutrients. I have no recommendations
on what to use, but I know that various plants remove different nutrients
more effectively than others. In essence, make a wetlands to suck up the
nutrients. Just remember to harvest the plants in the winter. It's that
whole ecologological approach to keeping closed water systems. What really
screws the mix up is those non-native GOLDFISH......... (the audacity!)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

--------