RE: NANFA-- disease problem

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:56:42 -0400

Sounds like an Aeromonas sp. bacterial problem. If you know any vets, have
them instruct you on how to take a swab of the infected area and have it
cultured. The fungus is secondary.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002 12:35 PM, R. W. Wolff [SMTP:choupiqu_at_wctc.net]
wrote:
> I wonder if any can crack this problem?
>
> Last year I had this, but warm water cleared it up, as many of the koi
> sites I visit indicated it would ( koi sites are great places to find
> information about ponds, regardless of species of fish you keep).
>
> This year is happened again, but warm water only slowed the problem
down,
> but it is still occuring. The problem is not specie specific. Affecting
> sunfish, mudminnows, cyprinids, killis and maybe some others.
>
> I am not sure what causes the wounds, or if they could be from a number
of
> things. The wound, or even a bruise looking area, will open up into a
sore.
> This will then spread and become infected with a secondary cotton like
> fungus. It keeps growing until the fish is dead. The only ones to survive
> bad cases of this are a large green sunfish, and some fundulus grandis.
They
> still have small wounds where it was, but for the most part are back to
> normal.
>
> According to my stonefly nymphs, I have clean water. The water is clear.
> do have some algae problems, but nothing on an epidemic to indicate I
have
> tons of organic load.
>
> Its really bugging me since it just seems to keep perpetuating itself.
The

------