Re: NANFA-- Fish death

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:38:55 -0400

<x-flowed>
I would guess insufficient diet. White suckers are more finicky about what
they eat, and confusingly can appear to be eating well when they aren't.
It's hard to recreate a really biologically active substrate with the small
animals, meiofauna, that they really need.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Moontanman_at_aol.com
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- Fish death
>Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:34:29 EDT
>
>One of my favorite fish died today for no apparent reason. A white sucker
>that I have had for over a year was belly up on the bottom this morning. He
>was barely breathing and by this afternoon he was dead. He didn't show any
>signs of stress and had been eating well up to the time of his death. I
>know
>most people don't worry to much about dead fish but I do, especially when I
>can't explain it at all. The water temp was about 78 degrees and the water
>had a salinity of 1.002. I checked all my freshwater tanks and found they
>all
>were around 1.002 except for one I had just set up. any one want to venture
>guess as to why he died? A hog sucker in the same tank is doing well.
>
>Moon
</x-flowed>