RE: NANFA-- Petco Sucks

Adam N. (adam_at_xhaos.org)
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:31:13 -0400

I sort of collect old aquarium books. It's really incredible then lengths
that people went to in order to keep fish. Really old books, like turn of
the century, don't even mention filtration and with gas lighting there
wasn't the kind of super plant tank we've got now. I feel like there's an
awful lot of surface area in the tank and with good water movement
filtration isn't required. I haven't ever had a proper filter in my tanks
in 5 years. If fish loads are kept low enough, and you change water and or
have a lot of plants you can have a very low maintenance system. With my
heavily planted high tech plant tank I have gone months without detectable
nitrate build up.

You can learn a lot reading the old books. It's a very different way of
looking at aquarium keeping and pretty valid I think.

I currently have a lot of guppies on the porch in just a tank. No
filtration pumps or anything, a few plants but that's it. These plants
aren't contributing to the water quality IMHO. They've been there a couple
weeks and getting on fine, I've done this before.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf Of
EELReprah_at_aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 3:56 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Petco Sucks

In a message dated 7/9/03 12:37:54 PM, kevino_at_beaverstatedental.com writes:

<< When I saw the tank, the first thing I noticed was there was
no filter system. I don't mean an inadequate one, I mean there was NO filter
system. >>

I started keeping tropical fish in 1942 and we never had any filter systems
and hardly ever changed much water and the fish DID NOT DIE. I still keep
many
smaller tanks without any filtration. HOWEVER, there is always some living
plant -- usually Java Moss and the water is dechlorinated and aged a few
days
before adding to the tank and there is some starring water from an
established
tank along with the Java moss. The fish DO NOT DIE, except rather rarely for
other reasons. Another key is to keep to the good old fashioned rules of few
fish
to begin with -- a couple for a 5 gallon tank, or a few more for a larger
tank. I almost never test for ammonia or nitrite, although I know the
importance
and I know how to test for it. If the basic rules are followed, you do not
need to test. These are the rules
1. Start with some water from an established aquarium
2. Start with only a few fish
3. Add dechlorinated, aged tap water gradually to the tank
4. Always have some Java moss or other growing plant to use up any
nitrogenous wastes as they are generated
5. Get healthy, compatible fish to start with -- preferably not from Petco

Lee Harper
Media, PA