Re: NANFA-- Water Quality, was Algae Eaters

Michael Canady (canady1538_at_msn.com)
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:04:59 -0700

Then I would go to the store, and do my water changes with reverse
osmosis water, or get an RO machine myself. But, always having
phosphate remover in your tank, or water prep tank, seems a
little crazy. Ty, couldnt you save yourself a lot of time, money,
and chemicals by buying an RO unit with that kind of water? I would
sure try too, better for drinking too, I hear leads bad for people.
-luke

----- Original Message -----
From: David Ramsey
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 5:55 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- Water Quality, was Algae Eaters

> I would stay away from chemicals
> and go the natural route. Aeration, and
> lots of water changes 15 percent daily at least.
> -luke
> The only way I know of to get rid of hair algae, is to use a phosphate
> remover. Hair Algae is a result of
> too many phosphates in the water. It will take some time, but that is the
only
> thing that works.
> Ty
Before automatically thinking one of the above choices is correct and the
other is a no-no, test your water. Call the water people and find out what
is in your water. For example, here in Lawrenceville, GA (NE Atlanta) the
water is almost distilled. Two items are high in the water- lead, and
phosphate which is added to the water to help with the lead leaching out of
the pipes. For me, frequent water changes will insure algae explosions of
all kinds. I have to process the water through a phosphate chemical remover,
peat to lower the pH, and aerate big time to get the beginning very high pH
to come down. Then, I have to add a bunch of buffers to keep the pH from
crashing in a couple of days. For me water changes are really tough. I use
big Rubbermaid tubs to prepare water, and a water change on a tank is drain
virtually all the water out and replace it. 10 gallon and smaller get
completely broken down and redone. First find out what is in your water
from the tap, then figure out how to maintain it.
David Ramsey
-