Re: NANFA-- white spots on Fundulus cingulatus

Michael Canady (canady1538_at_msn.com)
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:38:10 -0700

It could have been Lymphocystis Disease.
Its caused by large virus that penetrate the cytoplasm of
cells usually in the fins. It causes the infected cells to grow
to a large size, and the virus can spread to internal cells of
the fish. It can reoccur too, so you might want to clean that
tank out. Some fish dont seem to be infected by it, when others are.
I have never seen it, just did a little research with my books. Hope that
helps geoff.
-luke
----- Original Message -----
From: geoff
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 4:32 PM
To: Nanfa (E-mail)
Subject: NANFA-- white spots on Fundulus cingulatus

I have some Fundulus cingulatus that I collected this spring in the
okeefenokee. About 3 weeks ago, they developed white spots on them.
Nothing else in the tank did. Assuming it was ich, I treated with malachite
green/formalin according to label directions (1 drop/gallon for 3 days) with
no results. The water is running about 80 degrees. I did not add salt.

Since then, I have removed the healthy fish - they have all remained
healthy.

The F. cingulatus still have white spots on them. When I look closely, it
doesn't look exactly like ich. For one thing, none of the infected fish
have died. For another, the white spots are mostly on the fins, although
there are a few spots on the body.

Any other ideas? I'm going to treat for ich again, and I will add salt,
even though I don't like to.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY
-