Re: NANFA-- Cranberry Glade Lake

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:52:18 -0400

Bruce

It's probably not reason to travel that far out of your way for since the killies
and dace are no longer there but I like it for the atmosphere alone.
Cranberry is located in the mountains just inside the border of Somerset Co. PA-
not far from a popular recreational attraction - Ohiopyle State Park which does
draw alot of tourists for the scenic Yohioghenny River, white water rafting and a
bike trail plus the Laurel Highlands Trail that extends all the way to Johnstown
PA.

Now that I mentioned it, the trail runs right below a pair of ponds that are not
far from Cranberry. My uncle showed these to me years ago - the best kept secret
fishing hole around - tannic water surrounded by areas of bog- they have
monstrous bluegill and maybe pumpkinseed and some bass. Not many people are
willing to hike that far from the lake or even know about them. My uncle
discovered them on a hunting trip into the state game lands. We did not go to
them Saturday because of thundery weather - not a nice place to be caught in a
storm.

Ironically I was caught in a storm on the trail not far from there as a kid. In
those mountains it's alot like the little guys playing Nine Pin in Rip Van
Winkle!

Also I forgot to mention despite its namesake I have not found any of the Large
Cranberry - Vaccinium macrocarpon growing on the boggy shores of the lake or any
of the bogs nearby - even though the associated flora is present. There are a few
places in our mountains where it still grows - a bog near Ft Necessity and Spruce
Flats Bog on Laurel Summit in Lin Run State Park which also has pitcher plants.

Jeff