Re: NANFA-- Darters in Mississippi

D. Martin Moore (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:27:13 -0500

Scott, your fish is almost certainly a gulf darter, Etheostoma
swaini. The two are very similar in appearance, and I have found
swaini to be pretty common in your area.

You are not too far from some awesome fish like bluenose and
flagfin shiners. Sounds like we need to hook up! I'm always ready
to get my feet wet.

On 26 Jun 2001, at 8:45, Jay DeLong wrote:

> Scott, the fish you found weren't watercress darters, because according to
> the USFWS Endangered Species website: "The watercress darter is known from
> three spring areas in Jefferson County, Alabama - Glenn Spring at Bessemer,
> located along county highway 2O; Roebuck Spring, located on the lands of
> the Alabama State Boys School, east of Birmingham; and Thomas' Spring,
> located on private property a short distance from Glenn Spring at the
> headwaters of Halls Creek."
>
> I'm sharing your question with the NANFA discussion list. There are a few
> Mississippi folks on the list, plus others who may have some advice for
> you. Also, be sure to buy Peterson Guide to Freshwater Fishes by Page and
> Burr.
>
> --
> Jay DeLong
> Olympia, WA
>

> >Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:13:37 -0500
> >From: "Admin.EmergencyBay.com" <altonsco_at_telapex.com>
> >Subject: Darters in Mississippi
> >To: nanfa_at_att.net
> >
> >I live in Pike County, Mississippi. Last year I caught with a net several
> >small fishes from a spring fed creek near the Tangipahoa River. I didn't
> >know what they were. They were small colorful fish that were bottom fish
> >that were extremely fast. I caught a few to put in an aquarium. They died.
> >I went back to the same creek today and noticed that a new bridge had been
> >built. I also noticed that the fish were not as abundant as before. Today
> >I only noticed two when I looked in the water and I used to see a dozen or
> >more when I looked for them. I searched the internet and found a picture
> >of a Watercrest Darter and I am almost positive that the fish I caught
> >were these fish. Can you please give me some more information on these
> >fish and tell me if there are any other Darter's native to southwest
> >Mississippi? Thank you, Scott Enlow
>

> /-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS

I wouldn't be surprised if someday some fishermen caught a
big shark and cut it open, and there inside was a whole person.
Then they cut the person open, and in him is a little baby
shark. And in the baby shark there isn't a person, because
it would be too small. But there's a little doll or something,
like a Johnny Combat little toy guy---something like that.