Re: NANFA-- Newbie from Oregon

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:19:45 -0700

<x-flowed>
At 01:22 PM 6/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I am not sure about their laws on keeping native fish. I am going to have to
>check that out as well. I know the salmon are VERY protected. If you fish
>for them you have to have a tag for them just like you do if you are deer
>hunting. But it would not surprise me if they were strict on them. They tend
>to be strict on anything here dealing with nature. Last year they cut the
>farmer's water and said there would be record lows in the salmon population
>due to our drought. But just when you think you got nature figured out you
>get a curve ball. They had record high numbers last year during the salmon
>run.

No offense, Kevin, but where did you hear that about the record high
numbers? Sadly it was the opposite, and the drought had a devastating
effect on the Klamath salmon. Adult fish simply died in the river from
lack of water and poor water quality. Audubon magazine just a couple
months back had a good article that summarized the situation there. I can
locate that issue if anyone would like.

I can make you a copy of the sculpin ID book if it gets the "Dave Neely
Seal of Approval". Can you cover my expenses? It's only about 50 pages
and has black and white photos of the sculpins. I recall description of
two sculpin species that had their photos reversed but I can tell you which
they were.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA