Re: NANFA-- Howzabout some on-the-spot reporting?

Dave Whitacre (streptoprocne_at_earthlink.net)
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:15:54 -0600

Mike,
Rotifers, cool! How large are they? Can you see them with the naked eye?
Dave Whitacre

----- Original Message -----
From: <psalm119.111_at_juno.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Cc: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Howzabout some on-the-spot reporting?

> It is pretty quiet so I'll throw something out there. About a month ago
while seining in Rochester NY I picked up a small, barely two inch long
crayfish carrying eggs. I put her in a livebearer trap with slits in the
bottom in a spare 10 gallon tank hoping the little ones when hatched would
escape into the tank. Three days ago I noticed the eggs were gone and the
tank was crawling with minuscule crayfish. The plan was to use them for
live fish food but they're so cute. So I gave one to a lady at work, she
loves him already and the rest will be darter and sunfish food. The little
buggers seem to grow really fast as they've doubled in size in three days.
A bonus is the water was unfiltered and is also developing a nice crop of
rotifers.