Re: NANFA-- filters

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef_at_yahoo.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:47:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gastropodmania_at_aol.com wrote:
> I'm planning to keep either a bullhead, sunfish, or mosquito fish. I
> already
> have a weak power filter, so I just need a unit to perform bio
> filtration.

Stuff a sponge (or an old sock) next to the floss bag. I do
this and have good results. I have not had good results by
just using a power filter with a bag alone (as I don't change
water as often as I should). With all the plants stuffed in the
tank, a power filter with a bag and a sponge, I can get away
by not changing water for a month. The low bioload helps too.

btw, my Whisper 2 power filters pumps are all failing around this
time. All are four - five years old. The impellor is fine but
the sealed coils part of the pump is failing. Anyone else notice
a 4-5 year lifetime on the Whisper 2 filters?

=====

--
Sajjad Lateef
sajjad_at_acm.org