RE: NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #2085

Joey S (nonamethefish-in-hotmail.com)
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 05:07:34 +0000

>From: Kristina Gabriel <km_gabriel-in-yahoo.com>
>To: nanfa-in-aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #2085
>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:59:45 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Newbie here checking in, with some questions on a subject that I hope
>hasn't been discussed to death already. I'm planning to get a small group
>of captive-bred blue-spotted sunnies, but I've only been able to find a
>little information on them-in-the library and online.
>
>1. Are E. gloriosus better kept harem-style like some dwarf cichlids, or
>could a couple of grown males peacefully co-exist in a 46-gallon tank?
>
>2. If they spawn, will the adults--or other small fish like swamp darters
>and least killies--eat the fry? (I actually want them to--I don't have the
>space to raise fry and find them new homes.)
>
>3. Does anyone here know what plants are found in their typical natural
>habitat? I'm thinking specifically of Florida. Right now the tank is full
>of baby's tears and hairgrass (both dwarf and giant).
>
>4. How big do they usually get? According to one of my sources they're the
>smallest of the Enneacanthus group, but I've seen adult sizes anywhere from
>2.5" to 4" given.
>
>5. Blackwater? Slightly acid? Neutral? Slightly alkaline? Doesn't really
>matter? Again, varying reports.
>
>Thanks!
>
>nanfa <owner-nanfa-digest-in-aquaria.net> wrote:

funnything is that I'm also getting ahold of a small group, and they too are
ending up in a 46 gallon bowfront.

Here's what I've found out

Water stats depends on where you location is from. E. gloriosus is found
in both blackwater and clearwater. They will probably adapt readily to your
conditions nevertheless

Not to sure, but I doubt the males own harems.

Btw, are you breeding swamp darters? How hard is it? I also keep heterandria
formosa...which are pretty straightforward
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.