Re: NANFA-- Sipsey River / New Alabama Book

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:26:08 -0400

I wrote a short review before the convention... But it's such a good book
that it deserves more press. As you noticed, the artwork in it is exquisite,
primarily Tomelleri's colored pencil drawings of each species that accompany
most species accounts along with the larger, showcased prints in a special
section of Plates in the book. Dave Neely and several other artists also
contribute illustrations usually of a more technical nature in black and
white. The book has the latest species and distribution accounts, for
instance what I mentioned before that the Warrior Darter, Etheostoma
bellator, is really a small species complex of bellator, an undescribed
species known as the Sipsey darter, and another undescribed species known as
the Locust Fork darter. So the information is as comprehensive as you could
hope for in such a format. E.O. Wilson wrote the Forward, and rightly
praises the book as an excellent monograph of the type that modern
systematic biology should do for all taxa. The only odd feature of the book
is an unusual number of typos, nothing to interfere with presentation of the
information but enough to jump out-in-random intervals.

So the volume is a serious piece of work, and for anyone who deals with fish
anywhere in the southeast it's a serious reference volume.

Capice?

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Prizma-in-aol.com
>To: nanfa-in-aquaria.net
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- Sipsey River / New Alabama Book
>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:58:36 EDT
>
>give us a presidential review on the book bruce....
>i was only able to view it for a few minutes w/ dave in sc... but alabama
>is
>my sw frontyard :)
>i dont think i can do without it.
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.