NANFA-- Burreeds

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:53:36 -0500

> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:51:50 EST
> From: NATURNUT_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: NANFA-- Vallisneria?
>
> Jeff-
> wow, thanks for your response, you seem to be the authority on plants.
> Those burreeds sound like the plants we have. Thank you for clearing that
> up. I was not even aware of such a genus. Ever tried them in an aquarium?
> Despite their large size, they may make good aquarium pieces. Maybe I'll head
> down to the creek and find some fresh plants this spring...I can always keep
> trimming them back. Thanks again! __dan

I grow at least three species - as pond plants. Never thought once about
using them in a tank because most of them get pretty big. Usually knee
high to waist high. One species I don't have yet - the Greater Burreed
S. eurycarpum gets almost as tall as the average person! Their rapid
spreading habit makes them very invasive so you have to watch it when
using them in a pond - unless you are planting them to reclaim a
wetland- these plants have high value as food for wildlife and are often
sold by nurseries specializing in that kind of thing.

As a pond plant I grow them in small rubber feed pans to restrict their
spread. Plant them in a heavy clay loam with a dash of fertilizer added
and then cover with sand and then pea gravel. Since these plants are
heavy feeders they should be repotted every spring.

Most species will do well with their containers set in the shallow areas
of the pond with the crown of the plants under a few inches of water or
at least with its feet wet. The Floating Burreed- S. fluctuans grows in
deeper water and should be positioned accordingly.

Jeff from
Mt Pleasant PA - where the pond season is just starting up!