Re: NANFA-- Re:rainwater killies

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:59:41 -0500

<x-flowed>
Most coastal killies would do fine in brackish water, say 'bout 12-20 ppt
salinity. The striped killies, _Fundulus majalis_, would probably find this
too fresh but would be OK for a while. The others would be fine.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Rich Butts <richbutts44_at_yahoo.com>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- Re:rainwater killies
>Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:54:30 -0800 (PST)
>
> Are the Killies that you collected from brackish water?
>My sister just gave me her husbands old 70 gal salt water set up, and I am
>wondering how to use it. Maybe brackish water fish and maybe salts. I
>want to collect these fish locally and was wondering if the Killies would
>survive in brackish water.
>I live close to the Atlantic in Massachusetts and may collect local salt
>water critters for this tank. The salt water tanks are more difficult to
>maintain and I have no experience with them (strike one). I like to have
>plants and seaweed for the fish to hide in. Is this a problem with cold
>salt water? Certainly I could not have any of the corals and interesting
>warm water stuff.
>Is there anyone on this list with experience in this area.
>Rich Butts
> Brian Bastarache <bast_at_gis.net> wrote: Rick Rego and I collect them
>sporatically in esturine and salt pond
>habitats. I have some long term rainwaters in one of my esturine displays.
>They have done well and have grown quite a bit over the last year or two.
>They are a delightful little fish to keep.
>
>Brian Bastarache
>Bristol Co. Natural History Center/
>Bristol Co. Ag. School
>135 Center St.