NANFA-- Off topic: Ful'filling' Extra Credit in AP Biology

Brian Haas (bhaas_at_dubuque.net)
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:13:13 -0600

Yesterday in my AP Biology class, my teacher suddenly stopped everything,
went to the refrigerator in the classroom (normally used for holding lab
materials) and brought out an ice cream bucket of "cookies"

"Anyone want some leftover birthday treats?" he asked. He began to walk
around the classroom with a smile seemingly permanently glued to his face,
offering eveyone a cookie as he walked by.

"Is there anything wrong with these things?" my table partner asked, with a
questioning eye.

"Just some extra protein," Mr. Schultz replied.

Only AFTER some of the kids had begun to eat their cookies, did Mr. Schultz
finally explain the reason for his three-mile wide smile - "There are worms
in those cookies," he casually informed us.

I had never been in one of Mr. Schultz's classes before, and yesterday I
discovered that every year he offers his introductory Bio kids the
opportunity to earn extra credit by baking chocolate chip/worm cookies and
then eating one.

Where it is that he gets these worms and how it is that he hasn't gotten
busted by the FDA in all these years he's been a teacher will probably
always be a mystery to me.

Travis Haas
Hazel Green, WI
"I'm an early bird, but I sure as heck don't want the worm - even with
chocolate chips"

At 06:18 AM 3/13/02 -0800, you wrote:
>on 3/12/02 5:56 PM, IndyEsox_at_aol.com at IndyEsox at aol.com wrote:
>
>> << I still wonder what could have inspired that first person who ate an
>> oyster! >>
>
>...or perhaps a dare. When I was an undergrad, I had a prof that dared me
>to eat a chiton (during a marine bio course down in Cancun). Of course, I
>couldn't back down from his challenge, so... after MANY attempts, I plucked
>one off the rocks, scooped it out with my thumb, rinsed it in the saltwater,
>and ate it. It didn't taste too bad and was kind of crunchy - like a
>carrot.
>
>- Mike Bessert
> Lincoln, NE

---