RE: NANFA-- Looking for new N. Ohio fishes

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:44:05 -0500

Hi Brian,

Over here Toledo way, one of the smaller streams offers orangethroats
and blackside darters... The Maumee at low water yields log perch and
greenside. There's usually a large dominate male in those collections
of each, which is always impressive to see. High water, all sorts of
stuff gets pushed up into the shorelines (a couple types of suckers).
My favorites are juvenille quillback. Orangespot sunfish become more
abundantly localized at this time too.

I'm usually just looking for big bluntnose minners for bait (I also like
to see big 'kitties' bending a 6.5' shank of graphite :) but I've always
enjoyed taking a bit of time to enjoy the local diversity.

The stream I'd like to hit is the Portage River. Has anyone ever
sampled it south of Elmore? I think that will need to happen this
summer regardless...

Todd