RE: NANFA-- Looking for new N. Ohio fishes

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:56:05 -0500

Not to mention all affiliated protists, fungi, and monerans.

Ever get whapped upside the head by a whole ecosystem? :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Denkhaus, Robert
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 12:46 PM
To: 'nanfa_at_aquaria.net'
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Looking for new N. Ohio fishes

> > What are "Buffalo Chips???".. Is this some kind of new
> spicy potato
> > chip???..
>
> They may or may not be spicy, but they sure are not new. I
> really doubt
> anyone would enjoy eating them other than flys though.

Actually, there's a diverse fauna associated with buffalo chips. In
addition to flies, dung beetles are very, very common in and under
chips.
We have a particularly beautiful green species here. A large number of
ant
species, including fire ants, utilize buffalo chips. Several bird and
rodent species will pick seeds out of the chips and hungry coyotes will
sometimes gobble up a steaming chip pile.

Aint it amazin' what gets discussed on this list? :)

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
------
/ nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,