Re: NANFA-- another fish to ID, TX Fishes

Mark (markb_at_columbus.rr.com)
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:23:35 -0500

At 6:05 PM -0600 3/19/02, Dave Neely wrote:
>I'm not buying the majority-rule blacknose dace ID. Is the fish still alive
>in a tank? Can you check the lower jaw and/or get a rough estimate of scale
>size? I even tried magnifying the image 400x in Photoshop (darn, too grainy
>to see scales). The mouth just looks too "squared-off" to be a Rhinichthys
>to me... more like a small stoneroller, or as a way-out-there guess maybe
>even a Dionda...
>
>>http://www.nanfa.org/temp/texasfish.jpg

I'm with Dave and Dakota on this one. Looks like the Campostomas I got in
the San Marcos River TX. Only place I've been where you can catch darters,
mollies, tetras and plecos under the same bridge! An amazingly diverse
assemblage of exotics and natives.

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA