RE: NANFA-- fish id

Chip Rinehart (crin_at_glassmaster.com)
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:03:14 -0500

Nick,
I think they are probably hogchokers (Trinectes maculatus). We get them
here in SC in full freshwater (Edisto river....low pH, very tannin stained
water) although we have found them in brackish as well. I've got two in one
of my tanks which are about 2" long (the fish, not the tank). The largest
I've actually seen has been about 7" although they may get larger. We also
found them in full freshwater on our Monster Florida Fling. Mine have been
very easy to keep. I usually feed them frozen bloodworms and frozen brine
shrimp and I suspect they are responsible for the disappearance of the
smaller grass shrimp in the tank. Hope this helps.

Chip Rinehart
West Columbia, SC