RE: NANFA-- Ohio collecting laws - need help

matt ashton (ashtonmj2003_at_yahoo.com)
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:25:41 -0800 (PST)

that forage fish section is new to me...Mark could that hamper the bowfin collecting? or does the scientific permit supreceed that.

Chip Rinehart <crin_at_glassmaster.com> wrote:Here is a link to the ODNR fishing regs. Note it has a section on minnow
seines and dipnets.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/fishregs/default.htm

Chip in SC (where it's a nice 70 degrees)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 3:14 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Ohio collecting laws - need help

At 2:52 PM -0500 3/1/04, Zach Villers wrote:
> ODNR tells me that I need a scientific collectors permit to
>collect cyprinids, darters, sunfish, etc.
>Is this true? Is it possible to collect with a regular fishing license?

Now that's a _good_ question! Yes, if you ask ODNR about
_collecting_, they will say you need a scientific collectors permit.
If you ask them about catching baitfish, they will will say you need
a fishing license. If you ask them what you can do with a fishing
license, they will likely refer you to the little pamphlet you get
when you buy a license. There is some undefined gray area in there
as far as which species are covered under baitfish for a fishing
license. The laws, which were written many years ago, never
considered that an average (non-scientist) citizen would want to
catch "minnows" for anything other than bait. So there really is no
specific law covering taking fish for aquaria by non-scientists. So
it's probably best to comply with the bait catching rules as spelled
out (sparsely) in the pamphlet. Don't take any "game" fish by net.
and don't have any undersized game fish in your possesion unless you
have a receipt verifying that you bought them from a legal dealer.
The pamphlet isn't really clear about what a game fish is either.
Actually, I haven't seen the 2004 version yet, so I'm refering to
past issues. Is a grass pickerel a 12" game fish? Does the guy with
the DNR patch know how to tell a grass pickerel from a musky? :)

--
Mark
Ohio