Re: NANFA-- Fwd: nanfa V1 #1969

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:48:19 -0500

Steinbeck wrote "The Grapes of Wrath", "East of Eden", "Cannery Row" and
other novels set in the western U.S. from the 1930s-1950s. He also was
involved with a biological collecting trip to the Sea of Cortez (Mexico) in
the late 1940s and wrote an account which should be must-reading for anyone
interested in aquatic ecology and politics that affect it.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California is now on the
site of much of Steinbeck's writing that dealt with the sardine fishing
fleet and canning industry. Steinbeck himself was basically driven out of
town in the early 1950s for showing too much sympathy to the factory workers
and union drives. I guess times have changed in Monterey...

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A