Re: NANFA-- Cephalopods

Tom Watson (onefish2fish_at_comcast.net)
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:13:21 -0800

We have a species that lives longer here in Puget Sound. The Giant Pacific
Octopus (Octopus dofleini), . Probably too big for a 125 Gal aquarium at 30
ft from tentacle tip to tentacle tip.

>From the Seattle Times:

OCTOPUS FACTS

a.. Puget Sound is home to the world's largest octopus, the giant Pacific
octopus, which is also the world's largest invertebrate, meaning it has no
bones.

a.. The biggest known giant Pacific octopus was 600 pounds and had an arm
span of about 30 feet. Octopuses typically live from three to five years and
die after breeding once.

a.. An octopus has eight arms with about 1,500 suckers in total. It has a
fairly large brain -- half of which is in its arms, with the other half
encircling its throat. It has a "beak" at its mouth, which allows it to bite
prey.

a.. Octopus blood is pale blue and pumped by three hearts. The animal can
travel by crawling or by "jet propulsion" -- forcing water rapidly out of
the headlike mantle through a tube known as the siphon. Octopus, like squid,
can squirt ink when startled or upset.

a.. An octopus, which is in the cephalopod branch of mollusks, can change
its skin color like a chameleon to hide or, according to some scientists, to
reflect its "mood."
SOURCE: Seattle Aquarium

P-I reporter Tom Paulson can be reached at 206-448-8318 or
tompaulson_at_seattlepi.com