Re: NANFA-- A coverup by the government? Surely not...

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:25:21 EST

In a message dated 3/21/04 10:38:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ichthos_at_comcast.net writes:

> 2) Juvenile Alabama sturgeon are virtually indistinguishable from their
> congeners. So even if it was an Alabama sturgeon, the bait shop owner
> possesses fish I.D. skills that exceed those of veteran sturgeon
biologists.
> (Actually, if I'm not mistaken, juvenile Alabama sturgeon have never been
> described.)

Are you saying that one baby sturgeon can't told from another? I can tell
small sterlets from shovelnose. The small ones look a lot like the big ones, a
shovelnose has the distinctive nose and the sterlet is a thicker fish with a
stubbier nose. Of course I have seen several of both so maybe that's why I can
tell them apart.

Moon