Re: NANFA--list content restrictions?

njz (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:36:17 -0500

I guess that I can chime in a bit here. I was gone for two weeks and I had
over 800 emails when I got back. The spam is bad enough so the last thing
that I need to hear about are things such as squirrel flippers or movie
reviews, and the apologies that go on after words. Even the rhetorical one
liners can get a bit much. This is not directed at anyone specifically, but
as was stated previously, reducing the off topic posts and therefore the
need for apologies will allow for a more streamlined and informative list. I
want to learn about fish and related items from each of you. That is what I
am doing on this list. Furthermore, it can be a bit intimidating to new
comers who might be interested in posting but feel that they are intruding
in on an on line fraternity. Just a thought, I have never heard a complaint
of such.

And since it came up, I personally don't think that this list should be used
by individuals for personal gain on items that they are selling. Nothing
personal, but I don't think that it is fair to other individuals who make a
living selling relevant items. If they used the list as a source for
advertising, wouldn't you question it a bit? I definitely would. No
problems with a mention of the item or a friend saying check out website so
and so. But continual solicitations and futher mention of new products in
my opinion is not appropriate for this list. I feel that the person in
question (whomever it may be at any time) should contact a few key people
off list and ask if they are intersted and who else they might think would
be interested. And if they want to have a presence at the convention, then
NANFA should charge a nominal vendor fee for the privilege of selling their
wares to a captive and appropriate audience. My opinion then is keep it off
list. For the record, I brought this up to the board a while ago and they
felt that there was no abuse of the list occurring, so again, I will go out
on a limb by myself and express this.

On the contrary, there are a couple of recent off topic threads that I don't
mind: mollusk/ceph questions and comments (they are not fish!) and some
herp topics (as long as they are related at least to natural history
issues). I can even deal with some politics. Read that--some. I don't
think staunch Bush hater/supporters should use the list as a forum for
venting. But, I am relatively naive when it comes to politics, so I learn
from some topics on environmental issues from this list.

I also have no problem when someone feels that the list is going way off
direction. For a while it was Chris, now it is Todd. I think that Todd is
expressing a general direction that this list was indended to be. I see
nothing wrong with these comments. No where did I get the impression that
the list is only for the "professional or the academic". This list is for
fish and natural history enthusiasts. That is what attracted me to this
organization, and that is what I want to learn from you all. So with all
due respect, keep the rest to yourself-until the convention when we can all
sit down with a beer and talk sports, electronics, or 4wd vehicals. Thanks
allowing me to air my laundry ;)

Oh yeah, one last thing. Why is it that you don't have to be a NANFA member
to be on the list. Please enlighten me on this topic. If it has NANFA in
the name, should only members be allowed to participate in the discussions?

Nick Zarlinga

"If we ignore nature.....maybe it'll go away."