RE: NANFA-- Sort of off topic: osage orange

Denkhaus, Robert (DenkhaR_at_Ci.Fort-Worth.TX.US)
Fri, 4 May 2001 16:19:58 -0500

Martin,

In case you are interested, I looked up some propagation info on the osage
orange:

"The achene may be removed by crushing and macerating the fruit. A bushel
of fruit yields about 24,500 seeds or about 2 lb. If stored at 41 degrees
F., seeds retain viability for 3 or more years. The achene is soaked in
water, or stratified in sand or peat for 30 days. It is sown the following
spring. Average germination is about 58%. The seeds should be drilled in
rows 8-12 in. apart for cultivation. About 1/4 in. of firmed moist soil
over the seed will suffice."

Sounds like you probably don't need a full pound of seed unless you are
looking to start 7105 trees!

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
"El muerto a la sepultura, el vivo a la travesura"
"The dead to burial, the living to mischief"