NANFA-- Kitty Litter

Brian Haas (bhaas_at_dubuque.net)
Sat, 12 May 2001 20:42:49 -0500

Dan:

The clay recommended for aquariums isn't any old clay (it's laterite). It
comes from the tropics and is loaded with iron. Other than that, I know
very little about it. The manufactured tablets are specially enriched to
include all the neccessary nutrients for healthy plants. I'm saying this
as an aquarist who has only read about these products. My approach to
growing plants: dig mud out of the swamp, dry it to the consistency of
potting soil, put a layer in the bottom of the aquarium, then cover in pea
gravel. It doesn't work too bad. Swamp mud is guaranteed to grow plants-
that's what it was doing before it left the swamp!

I'll try to find the exact article tomorrow.

Travis Haas

At 09:10 PM 5/12/01 EDT, Dan wrote:
><The author stated that kitty litter doesn't
><contain any nutrients beneficial to plants.
> Kitty litter is actaully clay, and I was under the impression that
>clay was beneficial for plant growth, and was a vital nutrient. I know of
>several companies that make clay pellets for fertilizer for aquatic plants.
>Whats going on here?
> ___Dan Southwest MI

---