RE: NANFA-- Cold fish

Denkhaus, Robert (DenkhaR_at_Ci.Fort-Worth.TX.US)
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:08:14 -0500

I can't comment on the idea of putting the tank directly inside the unit as
I have never done it before but I would like to throw out a couple of
warnings about the display refrigerator units in general. My wife and I run
a concession stand for the local soccer association (being a professional
naturalist has many rewards but few are financial) and I have had
considerable trouble with the display units. If it is a used cooler, it
will be well worth the money to have it gone over closely by a refrigeration
technician. They seem to be notoriously bad at burning out compressors and
the like. Also, I would inspect the seal around the door very closely to
make sure that you won't just be cooling your house with the unit. They
work much better if they are stocked full of material that can help maintain
the cold (12 oz cans/bottles of your favorite beverage work very well).
Lastly, the condensation can really get bad which will definitely reduce
visibility through the door at best and create a sopping wet mess on the
floor at worse. Just my two cents before you invest a bunch of money in an
experiment. Good luck!

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
"El muerto a la sepultura, el vivo a la travesura"
"The dead to burial, the living to mischief"