RE: NANFA-- Spawning in high water/non-point

Christian Reynolds (creynolds_at_runbox.com)
Sun, 27 May 2001 23:33:17 -0400

The introduction of any non-native species has an impact on the biota of the
area it is introduced, as well as an impact on the downstream biota as well.
To say that an introduced, top-level predator has no impact on its
surrounding environment, is like wearing blinders in a food fight, you don't
see it coming 'til it hits you in the side of the head.

Maybe some people would consider the drop in arthropods to be minimal, but
think of all the other native species that depend on the same food types,
just because there is a larger fish which has a higher biomass to maintain,
means there is less prey (i.e. arthropods) for other native species. Just
because there is more predation, doesn't mean that there is going to be a
corresponding increase in the available arthropods, so someone is going to
come up short, either the native fish and amphibians, as well as those that
feed on them.

I am not saying that the brown trout fishery has not given many of
naturalists the incentive to do good things, only that it seems slightly
skewed to think that a stream would be better off with an introduced
species, than a clean stream with it's indigenous ones.