Re: Golden Club/Re:NANFA-- New fishy observations

Dave Littlehale (rdlittle3_at_home.com)
Thu, 31 May 2001 22:37:42 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <archimed_at_netdoor.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: Golden Club/Re:NANFA-- New fishy observations

> On 14 Mar 2001, at 1:33, Jeffrey Fullerton wrote:>
>
> > But rather than traumatize a mature plant and possibly ruin several more
> > before you get it right - why not keep going back and watching the
> > plants and collect the seed when it is ripe. Golden club blooms here in
> > PA in April and the seed is usually starting to break loose from the
> > stalks by midsummer. Probably a month earlier down there.
>

> I also saw some of these plants fully submerged, but the leaves
> seem to have a water repellent quality (they're rather waxy) and I
> assume they cannot survive in this state for very long.
>
> Totally awesome plant - beats the pants off of those Echinodorus
> spp.

Sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but it might be a good diversion.
I've never seen so much Golden Club as I have this year. With the lack of
rain up to a couple of weeks ago some lakes and streams were down 3-4 feet.
In one location, this left the Golden Club high and dry. Took a whole roll
of slides; some came out pretty good.

The actual reason for this message is there is another common name for the
Golden Club. It is also called Never Wet in reference to the water
repellant nature of the leaves. Don't know if that is a local name or if
it's more widespread.

Just an interesting tidbit

Let us know how your efforts at collecting the seeds go.

Good luck

Dave