RE: NANFA-- exotic species impact

john Patterson (jrpatter-in-hotmail.com)
Thu, 27 May 2004 15:44:01 +0000

Well in my area (central NC) people for decades would go down to the river
and catch some big ole bass, catfish, and bluegills and then take em back
and stock there local ponds. Things went fairly well-in-first and the
smaller natives that wouldnt bite a hook (pygmy and dwarf sunnies mainly)
could compete some and hide in the weeds and shallows and survive. Well we
would then have an extended drought period and the water in those ponds
would drop and pull all those little fish out of those weeds and well lets
just say all those bass and bluegill just got fatter. I can remember not
that long ago going to a pond that used to have tons of pygmy sunnies in it
now has nothing. My point is that alot of people think that some
introduction is fine that a few of these wont hurt anything, that the
habitat is diverse enough that it can handle the X being added. Well good
ole mother nature isnt on a 1 year clock 5 year clock heck even a 100 year
clock. Things are running just fine as they are. There is a reason there is
no carp or bass or catfish in that pond and we shouldnt add em in.

john

>From: "Nick Zarlinga" <njz-in-clevelandmetroparks.com>
>To: <nanfa-in-aquaria.net>
>Subject: RE: NANFA-- exotic species impact
>Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:59:18 -0400
>
>Chris, remind me never to get into an argument with you.....
>
>Thanks, all very good. Interested in hearing others too.
>
>Nick Zarlinga
>Aquarium Biologist
>Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
>216.661.6500 ext 4485
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.