Re: NANFA-- Aquatic Plant Field Guide

Travis Haas (madtom15_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:58:29

I purchased this book shortly after it came out in 1997. One word:
EXCELLENT. Each plant receives a page of text with each of the following
topics: description, similar species, origin and range, habitat (including
general light requirements/tolerences; very useful for aquarists), through
the year, and value in the aquatic community. All the categories are self
explanatory except through the year. This part tells if the plant is
perrenial/annual, mode of reproduction, method of overwintering. Other
miscellaneous topics may be included in a section called A Closer Look;
info. such as origin of the name or interesting stories. An example from
the coontail section:

"The ability of Ceratophyllum to draw nutrients from the water has lead to
some creative uses of the plant. Inventive pond managers have designed
"coontail pods"- permeable containers filled with cooentail. These pods are
placed in small ponds to help reduce phosphorus levels and thereby inhibit
algae growth."

To me, that's very handy info. that I can definitely use when thinking about
planting a tank. COONTAIL-THE ALGAE INHIBITOR.

Each species, along with the page of text, also has a full page, detailed
drawing of the leaves, stems, roots, flowers, and seed pods- to scale.

Overall size: approx. 8 1/2 by 11. 248pp. softcover

Now that I've done all of this, I notice that mine was published by The
Wisconsin Lakes Pertnership and has slightly more pages, but yet has the
same title. I think I paid $22 for mine. That's got me stumped.

Hopefully I've been of SOME help.
Respects,

Travis Haas
Hazel Green WI
"Went collecting last week- man did my legs get numb!"