Re: NANFA-- paint rock / cement pond work

Roselawn Museum (roselawn_at_mindspring.com)
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:14:42 -0500

Yo Casper

At this rate you are destined to become the star of the new Frozen
Snorkeler exhibit at the TN Aquarium! Nice work on the pond. I still think
you should dig down one side of it and install a viewing window.

Steven A. Ellis
Kennesaw, GA

At 07:37 PM 11/12/01 EST, you wrote:
>hey guys...
>that is too late in the season for me... i about froze in s chickamauga the
>other day. fish were out and about but no color. 58 degrees was the water. i
>was a frozen slab of meat when i hiked home and it took all evening to get
my
>body temp back up. during my steaming hot shower scalding water was flooding
>my skin but going down the drain as ice water! brr.
>ive been spending all my time constructing my cement pond structures (
>watefalls, filtration, pump housings, plumbing and painting. getting ready
>for the spring green growth.
>i drained it last month and found 4 species of sunfish... spotted, long ear,
>red breast and warmouth, croppie, channel and yellow bullhead catfish, black
>spotted top minnows ( had breed ! ), stonerollers, 2 unknown shiners, 1
koi (
>who was there when i bought the house ), and bg's gar... now up too 16".
>crayfish, turtles and a multitude of insects and shrimp were also collected.
>all the fathead minnows and goldfish were gone, probably consumed by the
gar.
>ph was over 8 and may have killed some species. but i was quite impressed by
>what survived this old green cement pond water. i will refill it with roof
>guttered rainfall this winter. ive built a waterfall and 10' x 18' massive
ug
>filter. this gravel bed will be the substrate for plants... mainly emergents
>such as iris and cattails.
>i also collected a bunch of little 1 year sunfish... i think they are
hybrids
>of longear and redbreast.
>im working hard on this... my sign and graphic business is very slow so
jamie
>and i are using the pleasant weather and time to get the pool ready for
>spring before the cold runs us inside. it is a lot of work indeed but i
think
>it will be very nice this summer.
>casper

---