RE: NANFA-- How Big is that Alligator ?

Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:04:42 -0600

Bruce -

So did my wife. As a herpetologist for the Corps, she's been commenting on
these pictures for months now.

The true master of "forced perspective," was the giant fish enthusiast (and
discoverer of the Crystal Skull), F.A. Mitchell-Hedges. His book,
appropriately titled "Battles With Giant Fish," shows how easy it is to make
big animals appear monstrous.

- Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Stallsmith
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 4:55 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- How Big is that Alligator ?

Jan, I like your skeptical approach to alleged animal size. Maybe another
way to consider this photograph would be, "Photoshop is a powerful tool!" I
mean, this IS the Internet, the new cradle of urban myth.

I realize that I made the mistake of suspending disbelief when I first saw
the pictures. Luckily, at least KITD recognized the snakes as a western
species.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A